In this day and age of social media, having the ‘perfect’ body is in vogue. This concept of being perfect, has been created by a myriad of well-toned Instagram models who have redefined beauty in a very toxic way. The allure of them having thousand of followers has made us idolize them. We subconsciously want to live their flashy lifestyles with all the money, the cars, the fame as well as their bodies. Sadly, this idolization comes with a ton of issues one of them being body image. Body image issues take a toll on someone’s self esteem especially if you do not fit into the ideal body type.
In light of these, there are people who go to great lengths especially to try and lose weight. They do a lot of research either online or through their friends to try and lose a few pounds. Some of the research they do, make them land on dubious information. Let me take this opportunity to enlighten you my dear readers.
Here a few myths surrounding the whole concept of weight loss.
· Starving yourself is the ultimate weight loss trick- This I may say is a total hoax. Starvation only harms the body. Yes there are people who lose weight through this method but at a great cost of their health. Some go to the extent of being hospitalized since they become severely malnourished. It is just not worth it. I recommend that you watch your potions. That is the ultimate weight loss trick.
· Only exercise can help you lose weight- This concept is not entirely true. Exercise has to be merged with other practices. For example watching your food potions, as well as cutting back on fatty foods. There are people who exercise but still consume calories they did before. Such folks end up not making much progress.
· Slimming pills are a great remedy towards losing weight- This notion has spread like fire since the advent of and social media. There are endless advertisements on most of these social media platforms. It is unfortunate to say that a great number of these pills are placebos, and you may end up getting conned if you purchase them. Others are black-market pills that may adversely affect your health. Please avoid them as much as possible.
· A no-carb diet can make you lose weight- It is certainly untrue that avoiding carbs will make you lose those extra kilos. Furthermore, carbs are energy giving foods. Do not avoid them entirely. As I said before, just watch your potions.
· Purging is the only sure way for you to slim- Purging in this context is the act of make yourself vomit after eating. Sadly this act is detrimental to your health, however, you can certainly lose weight but at very dangerous rates. Most victims are adolescent youth, who are pressured into this vice by their peers or ‘influencers’ in the print and digital media. Purging is a very common symptom of bulimia. It not only affects your physical health but also your mental state.
*Disclaimer- This article is not meant to pass judgement onto those who subscribe to the above said beliefs. Its purpose is to educate on better and safer ways of losing weight.
In conclusion, I would like to say that we should be happy with the way we look, flaws and all. Lose that weight only for you, and not some weirdly held belief that you may have heard.
Leave a comment so I can know your thoughts on this issue.